Sunday, April 2, 2017

Will you have to make your Home Accessible for Section 8?

If you rent a room to a person on Section 8,  will you have to make your Home Accessible?

The Marin County Board of Supervisors made it far more risky to rent a room in your home on March 21, 2017.  They created an ordinance that makes it illegal to "income discriminate" against Section 8 tenants.   While the supervisors claim that no one is required to rent to any individual, it sets a legal trap for a potential landlord if he does not strictly follow the HUD guidelines.  It will be a gift for litigation attorneys but will hurt homeowners and small landlords the most.

If you accept Section 8, you will be required to for HUD rule Section 504.    There are a bunch of regulations aimed at the professional landlord and management company which you should read before renting your home.   

Will you have to remodel your home to be "accessible"?  Will you have to accommodate mentally handicapped individuals?   I think the answer is "yes" but I am not an attorney.  

This ordinance is so wrong because people rent rooms to assist in expenses and NOT to take on more debt and legal liability.  It is moderate income homeowners that are hurt the most.  

No comments:

Post a Comment